27 Feb - 11 March: Please be aware temporary traffic lights on Hartmann Road may delay your journey to/from the Airport.
British Airways has placed firm orders for a fleet of 11 new generation fuel efficient aircraft that will offer passengers unrivalled levels of space and comfort on board.
The airline’s wholly owned subsidiary BA CityFlyer is to take delivery of the first of its new Embraer aircraft, which will fly exclusively from London City Airport, from September 2009.
Firm orders have been placed for six Embraer 170 and five Embraer 190SR efficiency jets, known as E-jets, with options for three more in an investment worth US$376 million, based on current list prices.
They will replace the current fleet of 10 Avro RJ100 and two RJ85 aircraft operated by BA CityFlyer. The new aircraft will be greener and more fuel efficient with significantly lower carbon dioxide emissions. This was a key consideration in the order.
The Embraer 190SRs and Embraer 170s will operate on routes from London City Airport to Scotland, Ireland and Europe.
A ‘double-bubble’ fuselage design means there is more personal space for passengers and with four-abreast seating throughout the aircraft, everyone will have the choice of either a window or aisle seat.
Peter Simpson, managing director of BA CityFlyer, said: “We are very excited about this new fleet of fuel efficient aircraft which will not only help us to meet our environmental objectives but also provide more space and comfort for our customers.
“This significant investment in new aircraft further demonstrates British Airways’ commitment to services into and out of London City for our customers.
“Having the combination of the Embraer170s and 190SRs in the same fleet will give us greater flexibility, enabling us to match capacity with demand on routes within our existing and future network.”
1. BA CityFlyer will be the first airline to announce Embraer 170 and 190SR jet services to London City
2. The Embraer 170s will be powered by General Electric CF34-8C5 engines and the 190SRs will be powered by CF34-10E5 engines.
3. The Embraer 170/190 family of E-Jets feature advanced engineering design, efficient performance, outstanding operating, economics, low emissions levels and a spacious cabin.
4. The E-Jets can fly at a maximum cruising speed of Mach 0.82 and at 41,000 feet with ranges of up to 4,448 km
5. The high degree of commonality between the two aircraft is more economical in terms of crew training, spare parts and maintenance costs
6. The Embraer 170 will improve CO2 emissions by up to 56% versus the RJ fleet and the 190SR will improve CO2 emissions by up to 28%
7. Both aircraft are more fuel efficient than the RJ fleet, with the Embraer 170 being 56% more fuel efficient and the 190SR being 28% more efficient
For more on media relations.
For enquiries regarding specific flights, routes or aircraft please contact the airline directly.
Corporate Communications Director
Tel: +44 (0)20 7646 0132Email Jeremy directly >
External Communications Manager
Tel: +44 (0)20 7646 0132Email Charlotte directly >
Out of hours urgent media enquiries only: 07747 103 884 / 07798 708 163
Please note - the press office does not deal with marketing, advertising or sponsorship. Please contact the switchboard on 0207 646 0000/88 and ask for the relevant department.